Wednesday 7 December 2011

Songwriters Masterclass: Lady Gaga

Welcome to part 2 of Songwriters Masterclass, an exciting new series where I sit down with some of the most outstanding and influential songwriters of our time to discuss their craft.

Today I’m thrilled to be joined by Lady Gaga.  Arguably the most talented and unique performer to emerge this century, Gaga has written a string of hits including ‘Poker Face’, ‘Bad Romance’ and ‘Edge of Glory.’

Flexi:   Gaga, welcome to the Songwriters Masterclass.  It’s an honour to meet you.

Gaga:   Yes, it is.  Hence the title:  Lady.

Flexi:   Forgive me.  Lady Gaga, many people feel that ‘Born This Way’, which is also the name of your new album, is your defining and, perhaps, most important song.  Would you agree?

Gaga:   Yes.  I think ‘Born This Way’ sums up the whole birth experience for a lot of people.  

Flexi:   How so?

Gaga:   Well, I mean I came out head first, so I was born ... (touches her head then points forward) this way.  Do you remember which way you were born?

Flexi:   I’m not sure.  Probably head first, like you.

Gaga:   You see.  It’s kind of a universal thing.  People can relate to me, that’s why my little monster fans are so devoted.

Flexi:    Lady Gaga, a lot of people have suggested that ‘Born This Way’ sounds very similar to Madonna’s song ‘Express Yourself’.  Would you agree?

Gaga:    Absolutely.  My people are going to have to talk to her people about it.
Flexi:   To organise some sort of royalty payment?

Gaga:   That’s right.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s very flattering that another artist would want to copy me, but hey - credit where credit’s due, if you know what I’m sayin’.

Flexi:   Surely you’re not suggesting that Madonna copied ‘Born This Way’?   ‘Express Yourself was released in 1989.  You would have only been three years old.

Gaga:   (shrugs)  I’m one of the most influential songwriters of our time.  Your words.

Flexi:   Thank you Lady Gaga, I think we’ll leave it there.

Gaga:  Why the poker face?   Did I say something wrong?

I hope you enjoyed part 2 of Songwriters Masterclass.  Please join me next time when I’ll be gettin’ down with R&B superstar, Jason Derulo.

No comments:

Post a Comment